Team: Huntress EDR
Product: Datto RMM
Environment: Windows (macOS version here)
Summary: Installing the Huntress Agent using Datto RMM
NOTE: If you are receiving the "The property 'Thumbprint' cannot be found on this object. Verify that the property exists." error when trying to deploy please update your ComStore component to the latest version.
You can also check lines 92 and 93 to see if they contain the following SSL information:
$CertSigner = 'DigiCert Trusted G4 Code Signing RSA4096 SHA384 2021 CA1'
$CertThumbprint = '7B0F360B775F76C94A12CA48445AA2D2A875701C'
NOTE: If you've used the previous version of this script where the organization keys were not automatically pulled from Datto RMM, a duplicate organization may be created if there is a name mismatch. To correct this, move the agents from the old organization into the new one matching the site name in Datto RMM and delete the old organization from the Huntress console.
This deployment component will use a global variable named HUNTRESS_ACCOUNT_KEY (defined in Step 2 below) for the Huntress "Account Key" and the Datto RMM "Site Name" as the Huntress "Organization Name" in Huntress. (Datto RMM exposes the site name by setting an environment variable named CS_PROFILE_NAME, which is what the component uses for the Huntress organization name.) If the organization does not yet exist in Huntress, it will be created automatically.
In the rare instances where the CS_PROFILE_NAME variable is not set, the placeholder organization MISSING_CS_PROFILE_NAME will be used. You can always move agents to the appropriate organization after the installation.
- Datto RMM HUNTRESS_ACCOUNT_KEY variable → Huntress Account Key (manually retrieve from the Huntress web portal)
- Datto RMM Site Name (CS_PROFILE_NAME) → Huntress Organization Name
In Huntress: Find and Copy Secret Key
- In the Huntress Portal, click the "hamburger" menu in the top right corner then select Download Agent
- Click the Copy button beside the Account Secret Key
In Datto: Add Variable
- Once Copied, open and login to Datto RMM. From the main page, click Setup then select Global Settings
- Scroll down to Variables, select Add Variable
- Under Value, paste the Secret Account Key copied from the Huntress Portal
- Under Name, Type HUNTRESS_ACCOUNT_KEY
- Select Save, Then OK
In Datto: Add Huntress Component from ComStore
- On the Left Menu, select Automation then ComStore
- Seach for Huntress by name, then select Add
In Datto: Create the Installation Job
- Under Automation, Select Jobs
- Type in a name, Select Add Component
- Search for Huntress, Select Add
- Leave variables boxes blank, select Add Target
- Find and Add Target devices
- Select Deployment Schedule options then Scroll down to Create Job
In Huntress: Agents will begin to appear
- After the Scheduled Job runs, wait 5-10 minutes then, in Huntress select the home icon and see the number of Total Agents installed.
Video demo for setting up trial and deploying with Datto
Datto-specific info starts at 07:00
Verifying the Job Completed Successfully
You can check for deployment errors by viewing the job status.
- Navigate to the Jobs tab > Competed Jobs tab > click on the job
- On job view, click the "stdout" and "stderr" buttons to view the log from any agent that may have failed to aid in troubleshooting.
Please Note: The Datto install script very rarely does not honor the
wait command in our deployment PowerShell. This sometimes causes the Datto script to say that Agent installation failed every though it was successful (Datto isn't waiting for the install to finish before verifying). We're actively working with Datto to resolve this, but feel free to contact email@example.com in the meantime if you're having issues with deployment.
The "Stdout" field under the completed scripts will show each step performed:
If the agent does not install correctly, there are options within the DattoRMM Huntress Install Script to reinstall the agent and/or force it to reregister. Repeat the steps in Scheduling the Script to Run, but after Step 3., select the options for "reinstallAgent" OR "registerAgent:"
Need something else?
The DattoRMM Huntress Install Script is written in PowerShell. You can view the source here.
If you need any assistance from Huntress, or if you notice a step that's missing, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If not all expected machines appear, Troubleshoot with these helpful articles: