Environment: Import Learners
Summary: Importing or exporting learners to the Security Awareness training account using CSV files.
Formatting CSV Files
When preparing your CSV file, it is important that you follow two formatting requirements.
- You will need to create an Email column in your CSV file. Email is the only field Security Awareness Training requires of CSV files; without it, any attempt to import data will fail. When you import your learners’ email addresses, the Security Awareness Training platform will automatically create a corresponding learner in the system.
- Make sure to use proper column labels for the data in your CSV file. Although Security Awareness Training only requires an Email field, including additional fields of data will save you some legwork on the back end as you manage learners and run detailed reports.
- First names of your learners — firstname
- Last names of your learners — lastname
- Learner status (Active or Inactive) — status
- Departments — department
- Tags — cltag_[tag slug]
- Employee ID numbers — employee_id
You can always add this information once your learners are in the platform if you prefer, but including it in your CSV file will spare you the tedium of updating this data individually for your learners.
Here’s an example of a properly formatted CSV file:
(NOTE: If you would prefer building your CSV file from a pre-programmed template before importing, the Security Awareness Training platform can generate one for you. See the Exporting CSV Files section below for instructions.)
Importing CSV Files
Once you complete your CSV file, you will be ready to import your learners into Security Awareness Training's platform.
Go to the admin portal. On the left-hand side of the Learners tab, click 'Import Learners.'
A new dialogue box (pictured below) will appear on your screen. Use the Group drop-down to select which group will receive your learners during the import.
(NOTE: Once learners are in the platform you can easily sort them into the appropriate groups from the Learner’s tab. Check the boxes beside the learners you need to move. A dropdown entitled Change Group will appear. Select the target group from the drop-down list for these learners and they will be transferred immediately.)
Next, click the Browse feature to select your CSV file. Once your file is selected, click the Import button at the bottom right of the dialogue box.
The newly imported learners will appear in the Learners tab, sorted under the group you selected.
Exporting CSV Files
Formatting is critical to a successful import. Most importing errors are the result of improperly formatted CSV files.
If you want to save yourself time, consider exporting a CSV file from Security Awareness Training's platform for a properly formatted file to add your learner data to before importing it into the platform.
Log into the admin platform. From the Learners tab, select the group from which you would like to export data, then select Export to CSV. A CSV file with relevant group data will download to your computer, and you will be able to add data or make changes there.
Once you’ve finished making any needed changes — adding learners, departments or tags; setting learner statuses as Active or Inactive; etc. — follow the steps described above in the Importing CSV Files section to return your data to the Security Awareness Training platform.
If you are attempting to upload a CSV but are running into issues…Three things you should do:
- Download the Security Awareness Training CSV noted above and double-check your formatting.
- Re-read column heads and learner data for any spelling errors.
- Create a new version of the file and try to re-upload.
Please sign in to leave a comment.