Team: Huntress EDR
Summary: How to deploy Huntress using DattoRMM for MacOS
This deployment component will use a global variable named HUNTRESS_ACCOUNT_KEY (defined in Step 2 below) for the Huntress "Account Key" and the Datto RMM "Site Name" as the Huntress "Organization Name" in Huntress. (Datto RMM exposes the site name by setting an environment variable named CS_PROFILE_NAME, which is what the component uses for the Huntress organization name.) If the organization does not yet exist in Huntress, it will be created automatically.
You can always move agents to the appropriate organization after the installation.
- Datto RMM HUNTRESS_ACCOUNT_KEY variable → Huntress Account Key (manually retrieve from the Huntress web portal)
- Datto RMM Site Name (CS_PROFILE_NAME) → Huntress Organization Name
In Huntress: Find and Copy Secret Key
- In the Huntress Portal, click the "hamburger" menu in the top right corner then select Download Agent
Click the Copy button beside the Account Secret Key
In Datto: Add Variable
- Once Copied, open and login to Datto RMM. From the main page, click Setup then select Global Settings
- Scroll down to Variables, select Add Variable
- Under Value, paste the Secret Account Key copied from the Huntress Portal
- Under Name, Type HUNTRESS_ACCOUNT_KEY
- Select Save, Then OK
In Datto: Add Huntress Component from ComStore
- On the Left Menu, select Automation then ComStore
- Search for Huntress Agent Deployment [MAC], then select Add
In Datto: Create the Installation Job
- Under Automation, Select Jobs, create job
- Type in a name, Select Add Component
- Search for Huntress Agent Deployment [MAC], Select Add
- Leave variables boxes blank, select Add Target
- Find and Add Target devices
- Select Deployment Schedule options then Scroll down to Create Job
In Huntress: Agents will begin to appear
- After the Scheduled Job runs, wait 5-10 minutes then, in Huntress select the home icon and see the number of Total Agents installed.
Video demo for setting up trial and deploying with Datto
Datto-specific info starts at 07:00
Verifying the Job Completed Successfully
You can check for deployment errors by viewing the job status.
- Navigate to the Jobs tab > Competed Jobs tab > click on the job
- On job view, click the "stdout" and "stderr" buttons to view the log from any agent that may have failed to aid in troubleshooting.
The "Stdout" field under the completed scripts will show each step performed:
There is a log file generated in the /tmp directory on the Mac endpoint called HuntressInstaller.log.
Need something else?
The DattoRMM Huntress macOS Install Script is written in Bash. You can view the source here.
If you need any assistance from Huntress, or if you notice a step that's missing, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If not all expected machines appear, Troubleshoot with these helpful articles: