Team: Huntress EDR
Summary:Huntress agent deployment via N-Able N-Central (Script) RMM
This guide is meant to provide a basic overview of deploying the Huntress Mac Agent using N-able N-central (formerly SolarWinds MSP). While we are not able to offer comprehensive support for N-central, there is documentation available related to N-central Policies.
Installing any product should be a breeze and that's especially true with Huntress. We've created a deployment procedure for N-Able N-Central that will install the Huntress agent on macOS (10.15+) without any user interruptions or reboots. This is a two-step process that involves:
- Retrieving the Huntress Account Key
- Downloading and Importing the Huntress Mac Agent Script
- Running the Mac Script against Mac Agents within N-Central
Retrieve Your Huntress Account Key
- Login to the Huntress Web Interface.
- Hover over the Huntress options menu in the upper-right corner of the dashboard.
- Select the "Download Agent" option from the menu.
- On the Installer page click the clipboard icon to copy your secret account key to your clipboard.
Download and Import the Huntress Mac Agent Script
- Download the Huntress macOS Agent Deployment Script from our GitHub repository. From the "Save as" dialog, save the file as "HuntressAgentDeployment-macOS.sh" for use with N-Central.
Due to requirements within N-Central, it's recommended that the filename have no spaces. This will prevent execution problems when you run the script.
- In the N-able dashboard, at the Service Organization (SO) level, expand "Configuration" > "Scheduled Tasks" and click "Script/Software Repository". Then click the "Add" button and select "Mac Scripting".
- Next, on the Add Script/Software Repository Item page browse to the Huntress Deployment Script file you just downloaded.
- Now that we've selected the script, we need to provide command line parameters for the script. The filename must stay as-is in the UI, and you will want to add the following after the script name:
--organization_key="My Mac Agent" --account_key="YOUR_ACCOUNT_KEY_HERE"
If correctly copy/pasted, your resulting window will appear as shown below:
Your Huntress Account Key is used for all installations, but the Organization Key can be updated each time you run the script to match the customer name where you are deploying the agent. Make sure to keep the customer name within the quotation marks.
- Now it is safe to click "OK" and schedule the script.
Schedule the Script to Run
Because you will likely want each customer to appear as a separate organization within Huntress you will need to schedule each customer individually.
- To schedule the Automation Policy, navigate to the desired customer, expand "Actions", and click "Run a Mac Script"
- On the "Details" tab of the MAC SCRIPTING TASK page, select the "Huntress macOS Agent Install" from the Repository Item dropdown. Provide a unique identifier for the customer after the
--organization_keyparameter. The Organization Key is used to associate agents with an organization (customer). If you did not already, update your Account Key in the "Command Line Parameters" field after
Remember to leave the filename as the first parameter, with no spaces in the filename.
On the "Targets" tabs of the MAC SCRIPTING TASK page, select the devices you want to deploy Huntress to:
- On the "Schedule" tab of the MAC SCRIPTING TASK page, chose when to run the task ("Now" will run immediately). Optionally, set the number of days the task will remain active so that any offline hosts will run the task when they come back online. Finally, click "Save".
The task will be queued and start executing. The policy itself does error checking to ensure that the Account Key was set and other validation to verify the installer was downloaded from the Huntress website and installed properly. If you encounter any errors please send the deployment log to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If the task fails or runs but the agent was not installed, the N-central logs may provide additional details.
On the "Scheduled Tasks" page you can click the link in the "Status" column.
Need something else?
If you need any assistance from Huntress, or if you notice a step that's missing, please contact us at email@example.com.