Team: Huntress EDR
Product: Datto RMM
Environment: Huntress integration
Summary: Setup guide for Datto RMM for initiating the (re)install of Huntress Agent via automated install policies.
After installing the Datto RMM component from the ComStore you can utilize recurring jobs and custom device filters to automate the installation (or reinstallation) of Huntress. This article is an overview of some advanced RMM features of Datto RMM and may need to be tweaked to work within your environment. In this article some assumptions will be made, most notably classifying software deployments by Sites or End Customers.
NOTE: Huntress support may not be able to troubleshoot advanced RMM configurations. This information is provided as a general guideline on automating the agent install process. Please consult Datto's documentation for further details.
In order to automate the installation of the Huntress agent on endpoints we first need to identify which endpoints we want to install the agent on. We're going to do this by first defining a Site Group within Datto RMM that contains all of the customer sites we want to have Huntress on. Secondly, we're then going to use Custom Device Filters to find all of the endpoints within our previous defined Site Group that do not have Huntress installed. Finally, we'll use a recurring job to check daily, installing the agents in cases where it is missing.
Creating a Site Group
- In the old UI select the "Sites" tab at the top and then click the green + icon in the "Site Groups" box at the bottom of the left hand pane.
- Type in a name for the Site Group and click save. In our example below we've used "Huntress Clients."
- Click on the sites (i.e. clients) that should have Huntress installed on them and use the "Include" button to move them into the "Include" column. Click Save when done.
- Just above the Site Groups box, click the green + icon in the "Custom Device Filters" box.
- In the dialog that pops up, give a name to the Device Filter and fill out the remaining fields. In our example below we've used "Huntress Install Check" as the name of the filter. Be sure to match the conditional logic to the appropriate fields. Click Save when completed.
Note: If you are not using a Site Group, changes will need to be made to the above logic. Same goes if you're using alternative names for the groups.
IMPORTANT: Be sure to use AND for the first conditional and OR for the second.
- In the "Jobs" menu, select new job, and give it a name. In our example we've used "Install Huntress Agent." Change the schedule. Since the Huntress agent does not require a reboot, nor does it present any pop ups or system tray icons, we recommend daily. Be sure to use a time/date the systems are likely to be on and accessible by the RMM.
- Click the "Add targets" button, and select the group or filter you're using to determine which agents need Huntress installed on them. In this example we're using a "Site Group" titled "Huntress Clients." After choosing the appropriate drop down and checking the correct boxes, click save.
- Next, click Add a Component, add the Huntress Agent Deployment [WIN] ComStore component, and click save.
Note: Leave the "reinstallAgent" and "reregisterAgent" variables set to False.
- Select alerting that suites your needs. In this instance we've chosen to be alerted on fails, warnings, and expired jobs to the default recipients. Click Save when done.
- Based on your schedule, Huntress should be checked for and installed if missing on all systems defined within your custom filter.
Please sign in to leave a comment.