Deploying Huntress with Continuum RMM 2.1+
UPDATE: A new scripting method was introduced in Continuum's 2.1 release of their RMM. If you attempted to deploy using our script and the previous version of these instructions on the new version you will receive a "Successful" response to the script, but no agents will deploy. If you are experiencing this issue, the below instructions should resolve them for you.
Installing any product should be a breeze and that's especially true with Huntress. We've created a deployment script for Continuum RMM that will install the Huntress agent on 32 and 64-bit Windows systems (Vista/Server 2008 and above) without any user interruptions or reboots needed. The script will also automatically gather your client's Continuum Site ID and automatically organize the agents within Huntress' multi-tenant dashboard.
NOTE: The Huntress installer needs an Organization Key (user specified name or description) which is used to affiliate an Agent with a specific Organization within the Huntress Partner’s Account. The Continuum SITENAME value from the registry is the ideal data to use for the Huntress Organization Key. Unfortunately, the Continuum RMM does not create the SITENAME value until ~30 minutes after installation which means we can’t depend on it being present. As a result, our initial Continuum Deployment script only used the Continuum SITEID value for the Organization Key which is unique and always present, but only consists of digits (not very descriptive). After discussing this with our partners, we developed an alternative solution that always attempts to include the Continuum SITEID and SITENAME in the Huntress Organization Key (looks like SITEID-SITENAME or 12345-WibbleBank). However, when the SITENAME value is not present, this new approach will only use the SITEID for the Organization Key. As byproduct of this compromise, it is possible for a single Continuum Site to have two Huntress Organization Keys (12345 and 12345-WibbleBank). Users of this deployment script may have to manually consolidate these Organizations from within the Huntress Web Interface.
This is a two step process that involves:
- Downloading and Customizing the Huntress PowerShell Template
- Creating the Huntress Deployment Script in Continuum RMM
Download & Customize the Huntress PowerShell Template
- Download the Huntress PowerShell Template from our GitHub repository.
- Immediately after the copyright notice, update the $AccountSecretKey variable to use your Huntress Account Secret Key rather than the __KEY__ placeholder. (The quotes around the key are required.) Be sure to used a plain text editor like Notepad or Notepad++.
- Save the contents of this file. This PowerShell code will be used to populate your Huntress Deployment Script within the Continuum RMM.
Create the Huntress Deployment Script in Continuum RMM
NOTE: These instructions are not the final draft, but they were released to ensure our partners could update their deployment method to utilize the new Continuum scripting method as quickly as possible.
- Login to the Continuum dashboard and select the Devices tab under Quick Access. (You may need to choose Show All or a specific client.) Hover over the "Add" button see the menu options.
- Filter down to the devices by selecting a specific site or checking off the ones you want to install the Huntress Agent on. After selecting the devices a menu bar will appear, choose Run and then PowerShell Script.
- Paste the PowerShell Template (with your account secret key in the appropriate spot) into the "PowerShell Script" text box. Click on "Save as Custom Task (Optional)."
- Type in a name for the task, choose a category (we recommend Security, Custom, or similar), type in a description, and click save. This will make this task easily available for future deployments.Once complete, click "Continue to Scheduling."
- Choose an appropriate schedule for your deployment. Run now is common when deploying in stages on a per-client basis. Run on trigger is also common if you have a lot of machines that may be offline during your deployment. Selecting "System Startup" will cause the agent to deploy on the next boot in these scenarios.
Click the "Run Task" button (shown below) once you have selected your preferred schedule.
- Your agents should now deploy based on your chosen schedule and begin appearing in your Huntress Dashboard shortly! .
- NOTE: To deploy additional agents, repeat this procedure but on step 2 above chose the category and newly created custom task to deploy. You should then only need to choose a schedule and run the task.