Updating Huntress Agents
Huntress agents are silently updated by our team (who wants to push more patches?). This is done through the HuntressUpdater service (HuntressUpdater.exe) which runs in the background. Throughout the day, the updater securely checks with https://update.huntress.io for updates. When a new package is found, it is downloaded, checked for any tampering, and installed without any reboots or user interruptions.
It's important to highlight several reasons why an agent hasn't auto-updated:
- It’s a laptop/workstation hiding in a storage closet without internet. In most cases, you just need to power it on/connect it to internet and you'll be upgraded.
- The host’s hard drive was wiped/replaced but the agent wasn’t uninstalled. There's no need to upgrade this. Simply jump into your dashboard and cleanup those unresponsive agents.
- It’s always possible antivirus quarantined the HuntressUpdater.exe. If you think you fall into this bucket, hit us up at email@example.com so we can help you out!
NOTE: We don't update all agents at once, so you may have agents with different versions for a time. Because of the number of agents we manage it takes a long time to ensure all agents have updated (some hosts may be offline for an extended period of time). As such, we support multiple agent versions for a period of time. Outdated agents are versions of the agent that are deprecated. If you have outdated agents it generally means the agent is failing to update for some reason. Contact us so we can help troubleshoot.
Finding Outdated Agents
Curious if you have outdated hosts? Within the Huntress Web Interface, we've added a feature to your Huntress dashboard to make this quick and easy.
- Login to the Huntress Web Interface.
- From an Account or Organization Dashboard, select the Outdated Agent counter.
- Voila! All of your outdated agents are here in one place :)